Netflix has shared the full cast list for its upcoming Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action adaptation, and it includes Star Trek legend George Takei. Takei will voice Koh, an ancient spirit that appears in Avatar's Spirit World. In the original cartoon, Koh can steal the face of anyone that expresses emotion to him.
Takei actually appeared in the original animated series as well, playing a Fire Nation warden in a one-off guest appearance. His role in the new Netflix series is somewhat more substantial, as Koh was one of the most memorable creatures from the original series.
Another big cast reveal is Prey's Amber Midthunder, who will play Princess Yue, the spiritual leader of the Northern Water Tribe. Danny Pudi, who is best-known for playing Abed in Community and his role in Mythic Quest, is joining the production as the Mechanist, described as "an eccentric inventor and engineer who’s doing his best to raise his son in a war-torn world."
Beyond those three names, Netflix also revealed a handful of other new actors to round out the cast:
- A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop, Ambulance) as Pakku
- Irene Bedard (Pocahontas, The Stand) as Yagoda
- Joel Oulette (Trickster, Ruby and the Well) as Hahn
- Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland, FBI: Most Wanted) as Chief Arnook
- Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth, Mohawk Girls) as Avatar Kuruk
- Arden Cho (Partner Track) as June
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts, World’s Best) as King Bumi
- Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter, Heartland) as Teo
- James Sie (Stillwater) as the Cabbage Merchant
- Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters, One: Thunder God’s Tale) as Ty Lee
- Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon, Little) as Mai
- Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day, Benders) as Lt. Jee
- Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon, The Man in the High Castle) as Fire Lord Sozin
- C.S. Lee (Dexter, Warrior) as Avatar Roku
- François Chau (The Expanse, American Gigolo) as The Great Sage
- Ryan Mah (The Good Doctor, Snowpiercer) as Lt. Dang
- Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda, John Wick) as the voice of Wan Shi Tong
These new additions join the previously-revealed cast members, which include Gordon Cormier as Aang, Kiawentiio as Katara, Ian Ousley as Sokka, Dallas Liu as Zuko, Elizabeth Yu as Azula, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee as Iroh, Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai, Maria Zhang as Suki, Tamlyn Tomita as Yukari, Yvonne Chapman as Avatar Kyoshi and Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran Gran.
The 25 Best Adult Cartoon TV Series
First announced back in 2018, the Avatar: The Last Airbender Netflix adaptation was originally supposed to be helmed by original series creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael DiMartino. However, the two departed the project in June 2020 due to creative differences. Now, Albert Kim is serving as showrunner and executive producer, alongside Dan Lin, Lindsey Liberatore, and Michael Goi.
For more on Avatar, check out our list of the top ten Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes.
Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN covering video game and entertainment news. He has over six years of experience in the gaming industry with bylines at IGN, Nintendo Wire, Switch Player Magazine, and Lifewire. Find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.